The current cycle has closed
Next cycle anticipated Fall FY21
Catalyst Grants are offered in the fall and winter for short-term, small-scale collaborative sustainability research efforts including:
- Project planning and partnership development activities and/or
- Projects that enhance the real-world application of existing sustainability research.
Planning and partnership projects aim to better define an issue or decision maker needs, gather resources, develop partnerships, and determine next steps for larger projects that connect research to action. Application projects extend and apply existing research by developing outputs that support decision-making or action. All projects include collaboration across disciplines and with partners external to the university.
How to Apply
The Catalyst Grant cycle has closed. The following information from the FY20 Winter call for proposals is available for reference only. U-M faculty from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses are eligible to serve as Principal Investigator (PI). Submit materials through the online application system accessible via the "Apply" link on this webpage, and provide all elements described in the Catalyst Grant Request for Proposals (RFP).
- February 21, 2020 - Letter of intent deadline (required)
- April 10, 2020 - Proposal deadline (extended)
- Mid-May 2020 - Award announcement
- June 1, 2020 - Anticipated project start date
- Catalyst Grant RFP (PDF)
- Catalyst Grant Budget Template (Excel)
- Catalyst Grant Timeline Template (Excel)
- Proposal Approval Form (Word)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) - This document is updated as additional questions are received. Last revised March 10, 2020.
- Contact Maggie Allan, Program Manager, Emerging Opportunities (firstname.lastname@example.org, 734-763-0749)